Comprehensive Diabetes Care that Helps You Keep Your Life on Track
With seven convenient locations throughout Southeast Wisconsin, Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare’s Diabetes Management Program can help you effectively manage your diabetes by providing the tools, support, education and encouragement needed to understand and control this lifelong condition.
Our outpatient self-management education program is nationally recognized by the American Diabetes Association and is affiliated with the International Diabetes Center. Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare diabetes educators are licensed health care professionals (registered nurses and registered dietitians) who specialize in educating people with diabetes. Many are also Certified Diabetes Educators from the American Association of Diabetes Educators.
Adults age 18 and older with the following types of diabetes can participate in the program. Family members of those with diabetes are also encouraged to participate.
- Type 1
- Type 2 diabetes
- Prediabetes conditions
- Gestational diabetes
- Education occurs in a group setting, covering diabetes self-management topics and training.
- Professional clinical team including certified diabetes educators, who are registered nurses or registered dietitians specially trained in diabetes care management and education.
- Individually tailored profile, including annual assessment, plan of care, and recommended next steps designed by you and our health care team.
- Comprehensive self-management education, techniques, and lifestyles counseling in accordance with American Diabetes Association standards and your personal needs.
- Discussion about diabetes-specific issues.
- Individual (one-on-one) sessions available if physician referral identifies challenges that may impact group education opportunities. In addition, individual education may be needed for insulin management, medical nutrition therapy, and pregnancy issues.
- Support groups available, covering a wide range of topics and situations.
- Regular communications between our staff and your doctors – including screening results and recommendations.
- Ongoing care and consultation, with compassion and encouragement.
Topics covered throughout the program include:
- Diabetes disease process
- Nutrition (including carbohydrate counting)
- Home glucose monitoring
- Physical activity
- Risk reduction
- Coping skills and strategies
- Problem solving
Let us help you take the first step toward keeping your life on track. Call the location of your choice listed below to schedule an appointment with one of our diabetes specialists. The Diabetes Management Program is available at the following locations:
Wheaton Franciscan – Elmbrook Memorial Campus
19333 W. North Avenue
Brookfield WI 53045
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare - Brown Deer
9252 N. Green Bay Road
Brown Deer WI 53209
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare - Franklin
10101 S. 27th Street
Franklin WI 53132
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare – St. Francis
3237 S.16th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53215
Wheaton Franciscan – St. Joseph Campus
5000 W. Chambers Street
Milwaukee WI 53210
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare – All Saints
3805-A Spring Street, Suite 311
Racine, WI 53405
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare – Wauwatosa
201 N. Mayfair Road
Wauwatosa WI 53226