Expert Care for High-Risk Pregnancy and Delivery
Most pregnancies progress ever-so-normally over the usual nine months. However, should a problem, abnormality or unusual symptom arise, you want help and answers right away. When you choose St. Joseph for your care, you can rest assured that Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare has some of the most highly skilled physicians in the Milwaukee area who are specially trained in diagnosing, treating and managing any health concerns of both mother and baby.
|Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare’s Maternal Fetal Medicine Physicians are perinatologists highly experienced and skilled in the care of the developing, unborn child and in quickly diagnosing and treating any concerns, risks or complications that arise. Combining years of expertise with the latest resources and technology, they are experts in high-risk pregnancies and deliveries.
With more than 60 years combined experience, our Maternal Fetal Medicine physicians are on the medical staff of every Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare hospital in southeastern Wisconsin. They staff our Prenatal Assessment Centers and Centers for Fetal Diagnostics in Brookfield, Milwaukee, Wauwatosa and Racine. Working as specialty consultants, they will partner very closely with your OB/GYN to co-manage your pregnancy for both your and your baby’s optimal health.
- Genetic and detailed ultrasounds using 3D and 4D technology -offering clear and in-depth views of the developing child
- Fetal Echocardiograms - to evaluate the structure and function of the baby’s heart and identify a congenital heart defect
- Maternal and Fetal Blood Sampling
- Amniocentesis and other screenings
- Doppler Studies -to asses the health of the placenta by measuring the flow of blood through the umbilical cord.
Treating the unborn baby
The following issues can be addressed and managed prior to a baby’s birth:
- Cleft lip and/or palate
- Congenital hernias
- Congenital heart defects
- Fetal anemia and intrauterine blood transfusions
- Neurological defects
- Urologic defects
- Twin-to-twin Transfusion Syndrome
- Orthopedic abnormalities including club feet and scoliosis
- Other abnormalities or challenges
Treating the mom-to-be
For preconception issues, or complications that occur during pregnancy, such as diabetes or hypertension, we guide patients to the best and safest course of treatment available. Through genetic counseling, we can help determine whether there may be an increased risk for certain birth defects.
Issues affecting the mother that can be treated include:
- Twins, triplets and higher order of multiples
- Cervical insufficiency
- Uterine malformations
- Diabetes - Type l, ll and gestational
- Preterm labor
- Hypertension and gestational hypertension
- Sickle Cell
- Rh incompatibility
- Other medical conditions exacerbated by pregnancy
Help with difficult pregnancies
Women with a history of previous preterm birth, multiple gestation, cervical surgery, uterine malformations or preterm labor in current pregnancy can benefit from the expertise of our Maternal Fetal Medicine physicians for treatment including:
For more information
- Preterm labor prevention, symptoms and instruction
- Cervical surveillance via transvaginal ultrasound
- Medication instruction, including hormonal supplements
- Nutritional counseling
- Talk with your OB/Gyn or primary care physician regarding high-risk pregnancy or any concerns you have about your or your baby’s health.
- Find a Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare OB/GYN physician near your home or work.
- Learn more about Wheaton Franciscan Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialists by calling (414) 259-7480.