How to Choose a Doctor
We’re Here to Help You Make the Right Choice for Your Family
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare gives you many choices in primary care physicians, specialists, and sub-specialists. With us, you’ll have access to more than 1,300 physicians, which includes Wheaton Franciscan Medical Group and independent physicians.
The brief guide below was created to help walk you through the decision process of choosing a physician who is right for you.
Think about what’s important to you, and then write down a list of your top criteria.
Questions you may want to consider for your list may include:
- Where is the physician’s office located?
- What is the physician’s philosophy of care?
- What insurances does he or she accept?
- What personality traits do you most appreciate in a physician?
- Does the office offer weekend or evening appointments? Do the office hours work with your schedule?
- How much time does the physician typically spend with patients?
- What languages does he or she speak?
- Does the doctor use an electronic medical record? Are patients able to access their medical information, request appointments and see lab and other test results online?
Do your homework.
The more you know about your physician, the more likely you are to feel like you’ve found a good fit. To find information, consider doing the following:
Review all of the information and make a decision.
When making a final decision, consider both the facts and how you feel. You have to be able to trust your physician, and you also have to feel comfortable speaking candidly and openly about any topic related to your health.