Setting Yourself Up for Success
- Start Slow. Many beginners make the mistake of doing too much when they start out. If you haven’t exercised in a long time, start with a walking program of 20-30 minutes three times a week. Progress to walking daily for 30 minutes.
- Be Consistent. Schedule your workouts each week. Write down your workouts every day. Make notes about how you felt and how you improved from your last workout.
- Prepare for Your Workout. Set out your clothes and water bottle the night before.
- Follow an Effective Exercise Plan. Strength training, even 20 minutes twice a week will help to tone the entire body. Cardio/ aerobic exercise, 30 minutes a day of low to moderate intensity physical activity such as walking, biking or dancing.
- Set Realistic Goals. Don’t strive for unrealistic goals, focus instead on increasing healthy habits. Every day, ask yourself how you will make your life healthier. It can be as simple as drinking more water, adding vegetables to your diet, or taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Set daily or weekly goals.
- Use the Buddy System. Harass your best friend, spouse or significant other into working out with you.
- Make Your Plan Fit Your Lifestyle. You don’t need fancy exercise gear or a gym. If you have the floor space, try simple floor exercises that target the hips, buttocks, legs and thighs, chest and arms.
- Be Happy. Pick an activity you actually enjoy doing, something that is convenient.
- Watch the Clock. Your body clock – schedule your workout when you have the most energy. Keep hydrated. Eat regularly throughout the day so you don’t crash during your workout.
- Get Inspired. Read blogs or websites that show you how others have been successful
- Be Patient. There will be ups and downs. Be patient and don’t give up.
- Reward Yourself. Give yourself a massage when you reach your goals, or maybe some new workout clothes.
Get More Helpful Tips & Articles >