Pulmonary & Respiratory Care
If you experience chronic or episodic lung issues due to environment, disease, related medical issues or surgery, Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare can help.
Why Choose Wheaton for Pulmonary & Respiratory Care?
Our pulmonary specialists offer a variety of outpatient and inpatient services, including the direct care and management of critically ill patients in a medical intensive care unit.
Conditions We Treat
Our clinical specialties include diagnosis and treatment of:
- Chronic bronchitis
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD]
- Interstitial lung disease (lung fibrosis)
- Lung cancer
- Lung nodules
- Primary pulmonary hypertension
- Pulmonary thromboembolic disease (pulmonary emboli)
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Respiratory failure
- Tuberculosis and atypical tuberculosis
How We Can Help You
Respiratory care services are provided in the emergency room, intensive care units and acute care areas, and are also offered on an outpatient basis. Our pulmonologists evaluate and manage pulmonary vascular diseases and provide the following pulmonary testing services:
- Arterial blood gas analysis
- Pulse oximetry
- Pulmonary function testing
- Lung volume
- Methacoline challenge
- Spirometry, including use of bronchodilator
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation (Respiratory Therapy). Respiratory therapy can help you:
- Improve your energy levels
- Be more active
- Reduce breathlessness and other troublesome symptoms
- Prevent hospitalizations
- Learn about oxygen and other home equipment
- Understand how medications, diet, airborne irritants and stress all affect breathing
- Our critical care medicine physicians and clinical teams provide support through these “bedside” procedures:
- Lumbar puncture (spinal tap)
- Placement of catheters into large central veins or arteries
- Thoracentesis - minimally invasive procedure to remove fluid between the lung and chest wall for testing to determine cause of fluid build-up
Our pulmonologists and surgeons also perform the following minimally invasive and traditionally invasive surgeries:
- Bronchoscopy – test to view airways and detect lung disease – may be done through minimally invasive or traditional surgery. Procedure may also include a thoracotomy (surgery to remove lung tissue) or mediastinoscopy (scoping the area between the lungs)
- Bronchothermoplasty - a minimally invasive surgical procedure to reduce airway smooth-mucus tissue.
- Tracheostomy - a minimally invasive surgical procedure to create an opening through the neck into the trachea
- Thoracotomy - traditional surgery to repair or remove lung tissue.
- Thoracoscopy – traditional surgery is surgery to repair or remove lung tissue.
- Thymectomy – surgery to remove the thymus, an organ associated with the immune system
In additional to pulmonary specialists, our team also includes critical care medicine specialists, surgeons, pulmonary/respiratory therapists and expert nursing staff to help restore or maintain your quality of life.
Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation Locations
Please contact Centralized Scheduling at 414-527-5000 to schedule an appointment.
Wheaton Franciscan - Wauwatosa Campus
201 N. Mayfair Road, Wauwatosa, WI 53226
Wheaton Franciscan - Elmbrook Memorial Campus
19333 W. North Avenue, Brookfield, WI 53045
Wauwatosa and Elmbrook Memorial Campuses
Meetings are held 8 times per year on the third Wednesday of the month at 1:30 pm. For program highlights, please call 414-447-2760 or 262-785-2050.