Small Steps that Make a Big Difference in Your Well Being
Finding the right balance in your daily routine can help you reduce stress and live a stronger, healthier life. Even if you’re one of the thousands of adults who have chronic conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol, there are small steps you can take that can make big changes in your well-being.
Wheaton Franciscan Medical Group physician Dr. Anna Lamnari is fellowship trained in integrative medicine. This approach to medicine is designed to look at the whole person, not just the disease. Her philosophy, and those of other integrative medicine practitioners, relies on a partnership with her patients where the goal is to treat the mind, body and spirit – rather than just the symptoms. She encourages her patients to use meditation, deep breathing, tai chi and yoga, good nutrition and exercise to feel better, use less medication and live longer, healthier lives.
We’ll always have stress in our lives. How you handle it is what makes a difference.
Easy Steps to Follow
- One of the simple steps that you can do to lower stress is to take time out each day for a few minutes of deep breathing exercises or meditation. Sit down, close your eyes, inhale through your nose and breathe through your mouth, letting go of tension with each breath. A few minutes each day can make a world of difference.
- Take a short break each day from your daily routines to read a line of scripture, a short poem or an inspirational quote. Sit down, breathe deeply and pause to read a few sentences. This helps you live in the moment and become centered and ready to face your tasks ahead of you.
- Sign up for yoga, tai chi or other movement classes at a nearby rec center, YMCA or fitness center. Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare – Franklin offers Yoga Therapy for MS, a modified version that takes into account muscle stiffness, fatigue and balance issues. Learn more.
- Receive a free relaxation CD to help you relax, focus and re-energize. Request your copy today.
- Treat yourself to a therapeutic massage to unwind and work out those knots in your muscles. Massage therapy is available at Elmbrook Memorial and ranges from deep tissue massage, to softer gentler muscle manipulation.
- Eat right. It sounds so easy, but so is grabbing a bag of chips. Find out if you could benefit from a nutrition expert to help you get started losing weight, reducing cholesterol or blood pressure or lowering your blood sugar.