Published on December 02, 2013
Cheese, Tomato, Basil & Arugula Panini
Whole wheat bread / regular or Panini style
¼ cup prepared pesto sauce, basil or tomato pesto
1 sliced tomato
Fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
Bunch of fresh arugula, washed and dried
4 slices of provolone or mozzarella cheese
- If using Panini style bread, slice it horizontally and cut into four sections.
- If using loaf bread, slice eight, thick pieces.
- Spread bread with pesto sauce.
- Layer with cheese, tomato slices, basil and arugula.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add Panini, cooking on one side for about 4 minutes until golden brown and the cheese begins to melt.
- Flip the Panini and repeat the same on the second side.
- In 8 minutes you have a delicious, savory, breakfast treat.
- Recipe from the Pampered Chef.
Vegetable & Brown Rice Stir Fry with Thai Peanut Sauce
1 tablespoon coconut oil or grapeseed oil
1 red onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 turnip, peeled and chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
2 ½ cups of green beans, chopped
1 large yellow squash
1 8-ounce can of water chestnuts, sliced
3 tablespoons Thai peanut sauce plus more for serving
- In a wok or large sauté pan, heat oil and sauté onion over medium heat until it begins to sweat and turns translucent.
- Add the chopped turnip, carrots, green beans and the 3 tablespoons of Thai peanut sauce.
- Cover and allow vegetables to cook until they are tender crisp, stirring every couple of minutes.
- Add the yellow squash and water chestnuts and continue cooking until the squash has softened.
- Serve the vegetables over brown rice with a little extra Thai peanut sauce.
Thai Peanut Sauce Recipe
1 cup coconut milk
½ cup unsalted, unsweetened creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon yellow curry powder
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh, grated ginger
Optional, ¼ to ½ teaspoon sriracha or red chili sauce
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until completely smooth. The sauce will be thick.
- This recipe courtesy of The Roasted Root.
Pesto Pizza with Veggies and Sun-Dried Tomato
8-10 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 small onion, sliced
½ green bell pepper, sliced
½ red bell pepper, sliced
½ cup zucchini, sliced in ¼ inch rounds
¼ - ½ cup sliced black olives
½ cup chopped, sundried tomatoes, softened in warm water until plump and moist
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ teaspoon rosemary
¼ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon thyme
2 cups low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
Your favorite pizza dough. Go for whole wheat!
Pesto Sauce Recipe
½ cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place mushrooms, onions, peppers, zucchini and olives in roasting pan lined with heavy foil.
- Combine oil, garlic, rosemary, oregano and thyme. Drizzle over vegetables and toss to coat.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce combine basil, oil, parmesan cheese, garlic and sundried tomatoes in food processor. Cover and process until smooth, scraping sides often.
- Placed rolled out pizza dough in a 9x13 inch pan, going halfway up the sides of the pan.
- Spread with sauce.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Top with roasted vegetables.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the crust is crispy and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Enjoy!
- Thanks to Food.com for this new, healthy family favorite.