6 Tips for Staying Healthy
Dr. Mushir Hassan, internal medicine physician with Wheaton Franciscan Medical Group, recommends the following tips to help you stay healthy:
- Get Moving. Most doctors advise a minimum of 150 minutes of exercise per week. A half hour walk after dinner every day is a good place to start. Check out our Walk with a Wheaton Doc program.
- Pay Attention to your Diet. Learn about a proper diet and then begin to follow it. Less processed food. The closer to the farm it is, the better it is for you. Add in more fish, chicken, and turkey and less red meat.
- As you age, know where your blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels stand. Many employers are now doing this as part of health screenings. This can be helpful to catch things early, especially for those who rarely see a doctor.
- Stop Smoking. Numerous disease states are linked to tobacco. Risks for disease go down every year one is off tobacco.
- Have a good sense of work life balance. Take time outside of work for family, hobbies, spirituality, and exercise. Make an effort to ensure there is time for these things.
- As you age, pay attention to weight training and flexibility training. Know what your core muscles are and how to keep them strong. This can prevent falls at a later age.